Happy May the 4th! With the Star Wars machine starting up again it would be remissive of me to ignore May the 4th this year. So below are some special May the 4th be with you messages, a Rdio Star Wars playlist and the 10 best Star Wars related adverts. Enjoy and may the 4th be with you.
The Rdio Star Wars Day Playlist consists of the following 14 songs:
- Main Title from Star Wars - John Williams - John Williams - Greatest Hits 1969-1999
- The Imperial March (Darth Vader's Theme) - John Williams - The Music Of Star Wars: 30th Anniversary Collector's Edition
- Princess Leia's Theme - John Williams - The Music Of Star Wars: 30th Anniversary Collector's Edition
- Yoda's Theme - John Williams - The Music Of Star Wars: 30th Anniversary Collector's Edition
- Binary Sunset (Alternate) (Medley) - London Symphony Orchestra;John Williams - Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
- Han Solo and the Princess - John Williams - Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
- The Asteroid Field - John Williams - Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
- The Throne Room/End Title (Medley) - John Williams - The Music Of Star Wars: 30th Anniversary Collector's Edition
- Duel Of The Fates from Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace - John Williams;London Voices - Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
- The Emperor Arrives/The Death of Yoda/Obi-Wan's Revelation (Medley) - John Williams - Star Wars Episode VI: Return Of The Jedi (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
- Anakin's Betrayal (Episode III - Revenge of the Sith) - Global Stage Orchestra - Star Wars - The Story Continues
- Cantina Band - John Williams - The Music Of Star Wars: 30th Anniversary Collector's Edition
- The Forest Battle (Concert Suite) - John Williams - Star Wars Episode VI: Return Of The Jedi (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
- Victory Celebration/End Title (Medley) - John Williams - The Music Of Star Wars: 30th Anniversary Collector's Edition
11. Star Wars for Hagoromo tuna (yes you read that right)
This ad for Hagoromo Tuna kicks off the list because it is tuna fish crazy!Making it an unofficial 11 on the list. Made when the lines between copyright laws was still a little hazy across international lines and the characters although recognisable have been changed somewhat. I guess this is the Japanese equivalent of the infamous 1978 Star Wars Holiday Special. If you haven't seen it don't click on the link.
10. Star Wars for Vodafone
These Vodafone adverts are a bit of fun and brightened up my pre film cinema experience but did get a bit tiring quickly.
I remember seeing this in the cinema for the first time and loved it. Still makes me smile.
8. Star Wars for TomTom
These "behind the scenes" cuts from the making of Darth Vader and Yoda TomTom navigation voices seemed to signal a change in the way Star Wars was being aligned with brands. They are a lot wittier than any previous crossovers.
7. Star Wars for Currys PC World
I think this was the first proper UK Star Wars cross branding advert I saw in cinema it starts brilliantly but lets itself down a bit leaving you with more questions than necessary. But those opening moments and Vader's arrival are pretty awesome.
6.5, 6.3 & 6 Star Wars for Brisk
Around the time Phantom Menace was going to be released Brisk a soft drinks brand brought out a set of these adverts focussed on Darth Maul. Still chuckleworthy.
5.5 5.3 & 5 Star Wars for Lego
Showing all the hallmarks of what makes The Lego Movie so entertaining and fun these Lego adverts bring Darth Maul back to do more damage and the final clip BOMBAD BOUNTY is more of a short film clocking in at 5 minutes. It is based around Jar Jar Binks and inserts him into the original tilogy with Boba Fett hot in pursuit. Pretty neat bit of creative right there.
4. Star Wars for Volkswagen
I'm pretty sure everyone is familiar with these Star Wars adverts from Volkswagen. They still reach the right parts.
3. Star Wars for Spike TV
The Spike TV adverts for their Star Wars marathon are the boldest adverts yet and feature characters not usually seen.
Spike TV in collaboration with Orange brought out these adverts which were also pretty cool.
2. Star Wars for the Star Wars Identities Exhibition
This advert is beautiful and adds the depth we are longing fro from Star Wars. The STAR WARS Identities: The Exhibition is currently in Paris until 30 June and is expected to tour to 12 countries on its 6 year tour.
Still the most exciting Star Wars adverts are these adverts for adidas Originals. C'mon Daft punk, Jay Baruchel, Snoop Dogg, David Beckham, Noel Gallagher, Ian Brown in the cantina! Pure awesomeness.
The Establishing Shot: MAY THE 4TH BE WITH YOU! SPECIAL STAR WARS DAY MESSAGES FROM R2-D2 & NASA. CELEBRATE BY LISTENING TO THE RDIO STAR WARS DAY PLAYLIST & WATCH THE 10 BEST STAR WARS ADVERTS. HAPPY STAR WARS DAY!
|Craig is a retired superhero, an obsessive hobbyist, comics fan, gadget lover & flâneur who knows an unhealthy amount about Ian Fleming's James Bond.|
When not watching or making films he takes pictures, eats, drinks, dives, tries to connect to nature whilst mentally storyboarding the greatest film ever made. He also & sometimes utilises owl-themed gadgets to fight crime. A list of his 133 favourite films can be found here! If you would still like to contact Craig please use any of the buttons below: